“Wow, I feel so much better… and I’m only getting started!”
Mary McDowell knows what it’s like to struggle with her fitness. For the past 4 years she has been trying to make changes. According to Mary she has tried it all. She signed up for a gym membership and tried it on her own. She joined group fitness classes for the extra push she thought she needed. She has even tried different diets to help her lose weight.
Unfortunately Mary never seemed to make much visible change and would often wind up with an injury that would stop her from exercising altogether.
“I have been going to the gym for the past 4 years on and off and I have never been able to change the way I looked or felt. I always maintained the same weight, was always sore all over and had constant muscle aches.”
The injuries seemed to be Mary’s biggest obstacle. Working in an office for years had resulted in muscular imbalances (i.e. hip flexors) that were preventing her from doing some of the things she loved. Not only did it affect her ability to exercise, it started to prevent her from doing other things as well.
“Anytime I tried weight training, I would always hurt my shoulder, arm, etc. As a result, I chose to always do cardio exercise instead.”
Mary and her husband had been skidoo lovers for years. They would plan skidoo trips with other couples and would do this regularly. Mary was beginning to feel severe pain in her hips when she would go on skidoo trips with her friends. Over time the pain became too much to bare and she had to stop going all together.
Although discouraged, Mary didn’t give up hope and maintained regular visits to the gym. Even though she wasn’t seeing the results she had hoped for, she knew the importance of staying active. Then one day she spoke to her good friend Karen E (a former skidoo partner). Karen had decided to put her faith in working with a trainer. When she told her this, Mary’s initial reaction was skeptical. In fact, she told Karen not to waste her time working with a trainer and that it wasn’t worth the investment.
About a year later, Mary saw Karen again. Her jaw dropped as she was amazed to see the transformation! Karen had lost almost 40lbs and said she was pain-free! Mary couldn’t believe how much she had changed.
“I thought to myself, “Wow!” She went into detail as to what her training sessions were like (they spent 2 months focusing on stretching and learning how to do the exercise correctly). After that conversation I said that I wanted the name of her trainer.”
That is when Mary contacted us. Right away Mary felt that Evertrain Lifestyles was a good fit for her. After speaking with us over the phone, she knew that we would tailor our program to her goals and specific needs. Even after signing up with us, she remained a bit skeptical as she still wasn’t 100% convinced that she would see the same level of success that her friend had seen.
With Mary we started slow and focused on improving her movement. We worked on her mobility with self myo-fascial release techniques and Fascial Stretch Therapy every session. This was followed by strengthening her weaker muscles. With this we were able to practice key exercises and work on high quality movement. A large focus for Mary has been loosening her hips and strengthening the glutes. Every four to six weeks we review her current program and make adjustments to keep her moving towards her goals. As we progress we will gradually increase the degree of difficulty in her program.
Because we prioritize “mastering the basics”, the beginning stages may seem a bit slow to some. We asked Mary to emphasize better eating habits and regular exercise outside of our training sessions. Mary has taken this to heart and has found alternatives for her “chocolate cravings”. We’ve also discussed the importance of not taking an "all or nothing" approach. Instead we work with a food spectrum. Mary has decided to substitute chocolate in the evenings with greek yogurt and dates. Great choice Mary!
“Wow, I feel so much better… and I’m only getting started!”
So far Mary has improved her overall strength, her ability to do every day tasks has improved significantly and she's removed pain from her hips, shoulders and back. Despite having missed 4 weeks due to family emergencies, she has lost 16.4lbs, and 14.5 total inches and she is only starting to build some real momentum! Now Mary is focused ahead to her daughter’s wedding this summer and is motivated to keep on going!
Only a few months in and Mary has not only achieved great results, but she has a renewed hope that yes, she can reach her goals. Together we've changed her fear of injury into a confident desire to try new things in the gym. At the age of 60, Mary is showing that age is not going to prevent her from reaching her goals of living a happy and healthy life. The best part is… that we’re just getting started Mary!
Congratulations on being selected as the Evertrain Client of the Month! We are so proud of you! As our client of the month you will receive a gift card to a local Beechwood Village Business.
Do you want help creating a customized plan on how to not only reach your goals, but maintain them for life?
Request a complimentary consultation now at
Yours in health,
The Evertrain Team
- Jun 1, 2019 Get Back on The Fitness Wagon This Summer - Evertrain 30-Day Kickstart Program Jun 1, 2019
- May 2019
- Apr 29, 2019 Client Success Showcase - Jeff H. Apr 29, 2019
- Jan 12, 2019 Evertrain 2018 Year in Review Jan 12, 2019
- Nov 17, 2018 "BRING-A-FRIEND" GOLDEN TICKET EVENT Nov 17, 2018
- Oct 8, 2018 Fall Back into Fitness - Evertrain 30-Day Kickstart Program Oct 8, 2018
- Oct 3, 2018 Why We Exist Oct 3, 2018
- Oct 3, 2018 Evertrain's Grand Opening Oct 3, 2018
- Sep 22, 2018 A New Fitness Studio for People Over 50 Coming to Ottawa: Come and Celebrate Evertrain's Grand Opening! Sep 22, 2018
- Jul 11, 2018 Are You Ready To Get Back On the Fitness Wagon!? Jul 11, 2018
- Mar 29, 2018 Always fit but constantly injured. Now 6 months later, no aches or pains and feeling stronger than ever Mar 29, 2018
- Mar 28, 2018 From super fit, to couch potato, to now pumped about his future Mar 28, 2018
- Mar 27, 2018 After two hip replacements, she increased her confidence and is no longer afraid of getting hurt Mar 27, 2018
- Mar 26, 2018 3 Exercises You Should Be Doing After Pregnancy (and 1 You Should Avoid) Mar 26, 2018
- Mar 26, 2018 From a stressful lifestyle and almost burning out, to putting longterm health first. Mar 26, 2018
- Mar 25, 2018 "I have renewed confidence to tackle new and exciting challenges!" Mar 25, 2018
- Mar 19, 2018 9 Health and Fitness Hacks for Busy People - Ottawa Mar 19, 2018
- Mar 5, 2018 8 Benefits of Prenatal Exercise Mar 5, 2018
- Feb 26, 2018 The Evertrain Quick-Guide to Better Squats (and better results!) Feb 26, 2018
- Feb 19, 2018 The Evertrain Quick-Guide to Designing Your Own Fitness Training Program pt. 1 - Ottawa Feb 19, 2018
- Feb 12, 2018 3 Things to know about postnatal fitness Feb 12, 2018
- Feb 5, 2018 5 "Fit After 50" Fitness Tips - Ottawa Feb 5, 2018
- Jan 29, 2018 5 "Fit After 50" Lifestyle Tips - Ottawa Jan 29, 2018
- Jan 22, 2018 5 "Fit After 50" Nutrition Tips - Ottawa Jan 22, 2018
- Jan 7, 2018 5 Reasons Why You'll Want to Join Our New Year 30-Day Kick-Start Program. Ottawa Personal Training, Injury Prevention, Fitness & Weight-Loss Jan 7, 2018
- Nov 30, 2017 How to Survive the Holidays This Season - Ottawa Fitness and Nutrition for the Holidays Nov 30, 2017
- Sep 28, 2017 3 Ways to Reduce the "Middle-Age Bulge" - Ottawa, Weight Loss, Nutrition Tips Sep 28, 2017
- August 2017
- May 2017
- Apr 3, 2017 Reach Your Goals Now and Stop "Falling Off the Wagon". The First Step and More...Ottawa Apr 3, 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 29, 2017 Getting Set Up: At-Home Fitness Jan 29, 2017
- Jan 15, 2017 The Evertrain Quick-Guide to Goal Setting for Fitness and Weight Loss - Ottawa Jan 15, 2017
- Sep 6, 2016 5 Keys to Success With Your Fitness This Fall - Ottawa Fitness Sep 6, 2016
- May 16, 2016 Evertrain Case Study - Mary McDowell Personal Training May 16, 2016
- May 16, 2016 Welcome to The Evertrain Blog May 16, 2016